Sunday, August 13, 2006

August 13

It's a good feeling to get what you want, but only a stupid fool hates to turn from evil. Proverbs 13:19 (cev)
I really like the New Living Translation of this verse: It is pleasant to see dreams come true, but fools will not turn from evil to attain them. It puts me in mind of a friend of mine.
My friend and his newlywed wife are both working in slightly-above-minimum-wage jobs and are expecting a new baby in January. Both of their cars are "aging", they have a substantial amount of credit card debt and they have just purchased a home. To say the least, their financial picture is bleak.

My friend often comes over bemoaning this reality and in the next breath start telling me about his next vacaton and how he hopes to renovate his new home. I have tried to point out the folly in his "plan" and encouraged him to listen and read Dave Ramsey (life changing stuff). I have even offered to walk with him on this journey and mentor him in the process to no avail.
I am not saying his choices are evil (unwise, yes; evil, not necessarily), however he is unwilling to do what it takes to secure his financial future or that of his child. I fear it will end badly for him. The funny thing is that he can tell you what he watched on TV last night or whether or not the latest movie is worth seeing (as he has seen it already).
I figured out that this world owes me nothing other than what I am willing to sacrifice to gain. To say the least, I am blessed beyond my efforts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home