Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Whole Can of Worms…

Boy, I opened a whole can of worms with my last blog entry. Andrew at PuppetVision highlighted my thoughts and opened discussions at MuppetCentral and PuppetsandStuff. The response has been passionate. The consensus is the lack of skills can obscure the message and not all people have puppetry talent.

I am reminded that I am not Michelangelo, but I still enjoy drawing. I sound like a squirrel stuck in a vise when I sing, yet I sing. I’m no Jim Henson, but here I am doing what I love. God gave us our creative talent to use. Some received more in some areas than others but God takes joy in us when we use our talents for good. I believe using our creativity actually gives us better understanding of God as Creator.

I love what Benjamin Franklin said—Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What’s a sun-dial in the shade? (They talked that way back then…sort of like Yoda. )

There are good insights in these discussions and I suggest you read them. Remember please that many of these people are not Christians and their points are valid (these are the people we are trying to reach). Don’t be offended by someone’s opinion.

This being said, my initial challenge was for everyone in puppetry to “get better” than they are now, but isn’t that how we should live our lives? As a Christian, we should be more Christ-like each day. As a puppeteer we should improve our skills each day. As a person, we should contribute more to the lives of those around us each day.

I feel sort of hypocritical, though. I am not the best puppeteer in the world. I’m not even the best puppeteer in my group. I guess I should remove the log from my own eye before I try to remove the splinter from my brother’s eye.

The point I want to make is (to borrow from Bill and Ted): Be Excellent…to each other, to yourself and in your efforts both Christian and secular (a Christian can really separate the two). God bless you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home