Saturday, November 25, 2006

Tis’ the Season

I love Christmas, well, what Christmas is truly about. The over-commercialized, Tickle-Me-Elmo-grabbing, Play-Station-3-stampedeing, lets spend-every-dime-on-junk-I-don’t-need, I’m-going-to-Wal-Mart attitude really sullies the season for me. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, I make both the Grinch and Ebenezer Scrooge appear cute and cuddly. I can do without the hype.

I do love giving, though. I think that is part of God’s nature that He places in us. I love to watch my family open gifts that I chose especially for them. For some (including my wife), receiving gifts make them feel loved. (The good thing is these types enjoy small tokens as much as large ones.) Of course Christmas provides me many opportunities to provide presents for underprivileged kids and some of our service men and women away from home. Even though my small gesture won’t really impact these individual situations, it will hopefully provide a moment of happiness and joy. Better yet it is a sure fire way to chase away my “Scroogieness”.

I know most of you will participate in some sort of charity giving be it Operation Christmas Child, Toys for Tots or just dropping change in the Savation Army Bucket. If not, I encourage you to do so, if not for someone else's benefit, for your own.

We are blessed by being blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home