Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mastery

This is the first part of a two part treatise. I was pondering this idea for a blog topic and before I knew it, this was the resulting manuscript. I apologize if it seems incoherent, but it makes perfect since to me.

It’s been stated in many ways by many people: “We become what we think about.” You can find this in the writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Zig Ziglar, William James, Solomon. The list is endless. Your thoughts control your life-good or bad is not so much what happens to you but how you respond beginning with your thoughts.

Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad Poor Dad) took this one step further to say “You become what you study.” This makes sense because true mastery of anything requires study requires thought. Consider that for a moment—true mastery requires study requires thought. In order for me to be successful in any area of my life I must study and think about it. God even gave this same direction to Joshua after Moses died. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. (Joshua 1:8 nlt)

So the question becomes: “What do you want to master? Where in your life do you want to be successful?” Like me, you probably want to be successful in family matters, money matters, health and well-being matters, becoming Christ-like. We never undertake any endeavor with a goal of failure (oxymoron?), or at least we shouldn’t. The human desire is for success. God’s plan for us is success.

Other than my family, I currently have four areas of interest in my life: God, puppetry, personal finance and fitness. Noticed, I said currently because our passions can shift. I wasn’t interested in finance until I started studying Dave Ramsey. Puppetry wasn’t a real passion until I started using it to minister. Fitness was not always important. AND you can trust me when I say God has not always, continually been the focus of my life (an issue with which I still struggle), but I digress. My point remains that we must learn and reflect on what we want to achieve.

(to be continued)

1 Comments:

Blogger DEBTective said...

Bub, I'm big-time proud of you for working to deep-six your debt and connect with your cash, Dave Ramsey-style. Thanks for spreading the debt-free word ... and for working for The Man Upstairs. Here's looking at you, kid. www.debtective.com

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home