Tuesday, November 28, 2006

My Life of Idolatry

I have endeavored to be goal oriented for the past three years. I believe that we are supposed to live this way. I believe we are supposed to plan our lives and be responsible for such. I believe we should learn and grow to be more like Jesus everyday by understanding Him better.* I believe we are to uphold Jesus in every aspect of our lives.**

In conjunction with these beliefs, I am trying to make puppetminister.com successful by becoming a better builder, puppeteer, writer and artist by setting aside time to pursue these activities. I am struggling to be a better husband, parent and friend by investing emotionally into the lives of those around me. I am striving to become more Christ-like by reading and praying. I am working to improve my health and appearance by changing my eating habits and exercising. I am working to become debt free. I am determined to improve ME, but…

I’ve noticed the achieving the goal has surpassed the reason for setting it in the first place. I think the practice can be called idolatry because it is something that is coming between the Lord and I.

My intentions were honorable, but so very easily I have wandered from the path. I know that I am supposed to seek the Kingdom of God first and everything else I need will fall into place.1

So how did this happen? I’m not sure but it happened to Martha in Luke 10;
38The Lord and his disciples were traveling along and came to a village. When they got there, a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39She had a sister named Mary, who sat down in front of the Lord and was listening to what he said. 40Martha was worried about all that had to be done. Finally, she went to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it bother you that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to come and help me!"
41The Lord answered, "Martha, Martha! You are worried and upset about so many things, 42but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen what is best, and it will not be taken away from her." cev

I pray that you haven’t become like me; distracted by “good”. We are warned that the cares of this world will keep us from being fruitful.2 Please keep your focus and pray for me as I try to regain mine. In closing, reflect on the words of Paul:
I ask the glorious Father and God of our Lord Jesus Christ to give you his Spirit. The Spirit will make you wise and let you understand what it means to know God. Ephesians 1:17 cev

God bless you and Merry Christmas.

† I don't run without a goal. 1 Corinthians 9:26a cev
‡ My child, don't lose sight of good planning and insight. Hang on to them, for they fill you with life and bring you honor and respect. Proverbs 3:21-22 nlt (1996)
‡ For we are each responsible for our own conduct. Galatians 6:5 nlt
*Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. Colossians 3:10 nlt
**And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Colossians 3:17 nlt
1. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33 kjv
2. As for the seed that fell among thorns, these are the ones who, when they have heard, go on their way and are choked with worries, riches, and pleasures of life, and produce no mature fruit. Luke 8:14 hcsb

1 Comments:

Blogger kidinspiration said...

Honest stuff...

thanks!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home