Thursday, February 15, 2007

Principle Interest?

Most of the time, this blog is more of a motivational/how-to-live dissertation than puppet ministry information. It comes from things I’ve heard or read that I think all people should know or live by. A lot of times it is the result of a screw-up by me. This is one of those times…

Have you ever had a moment where you were just incredibly, undeservedly rude to someone? Or am I the only one? I had a moment like this yesterday with a co-worker to which I immediately apologized. In retrospect, I could have explained myself and brought in the details of the challenging day that I had been experiencing. I could have shrugged it off as no big deal. I could have rationalized my behavior, but this would have been wrong.

My co-worker was gracious and accepted my apology, but memories of this incident flooded my conscience all evening. One recurring thought loomed in my brain as I replayed my actions: not only had I offended my associate, I violated one of my core principles.

The Bible tells us that love is not rude (1 Cor 13:4-5), but worst than that I was trying to find and excuse for something I have deemed inexcusable. I believe in personal responsibility and any attempt to justify misbehavior is wrong. It is what it is and it wrong. I admit it and it’s time to move forward.

My point is that a principle can only be a principle when you say, “This is what I believe and I will not waiver from it.” I was trying my best to waiver last night. I’m glad I didn’t.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home